SEASONALLY AND AVAILABILITY DEPENDENT/MAY INCUR A FEE
BIRDING Self-Guided Bird Walk
Calling all bird lovers to African Safari Lodge! The area has an incredibly rich cultural history and is primly situated at the ecotone between several key habitats in the Eastern Cape. There have been 174 recorded bird species within the urban area, of which 104 species are likely to breed regularly.
To start your birding adventure, African Safari Lodge recommends two apps that you can easily download ‘Sasol eBirds Southern Africa’ and ‘eBird’. They are easy to use and will introduce you to birdwatching.
First, we will explain the basics of binoculars and then recommend some useful and easy tips for successful birding.
- If you wish to do the bird watching with a specialized guide, we also offer this option.
- Be quiet, so that you don’t scare the birds away. Also, if you are quiet then you might even be able to hear them sing.
- Try not to shout when you see a bird; just point so that other people can see the bird too.
- Be sneaky. Move slowly and quietly so you don’t scare the birds away.
- Be observant. Birds could be on the ground, behind a bush, in a tree, or in the sky, so look everywhere!
- If you are using binoculars, be very careful with them. Make sure they are focused so that you can see through them clearly.
Itinerary of Activity:
Duration At own pace, suggested between 1 and 2 hours
Early morning or late afternoons
Supplied (how many KM) loop or own walk
Apps Sasol ebird
Safety precautions Respect wildlife and be observant
Carry essentials like water, sunscreen, and insect repellent
Must takes Binoculars, camera and use apps for guidance
BIG 5 ACTIVITIES
EXPLORE 4 DIFFERENT BIG 5 DESTINATIONS ON OUR DOORSTEP
Places of Interest
The Eastern Cape stretches in the North from the Umtamvuna River Gorge, which forms the boundary of the Eastern Cape with KwaZulu Natal, down the Eastern Seaboard of South Africa, bounded by the warm Indian Ocean, encompassing the beautiful Wild Coast of what has been known as the Transkei, the port cieties of East London and Port Elizabeth and ending in the beautiful Tsitsikamma Forest area of the famous Garden Route near Storms River Mouth and Natures Valley. The Bloukrans river forms the boundary between tehe Eastern and Western Cape and is spanned by the largest single span concrete arch bridge in the world, where, from the northern bank on the Eastern Cape side, the company Face Adrenalin, operate the highest Bungee Jump in the world at 216 meteres.
African Safari Lodge boasts a comprehensive list of local and destination activities to keep even the most adventurous soul captivated and enthralled. However, if you’re merely seeking a relaxing, quieter stay, African Safari Lodge is a sure winner.
The list of available activities is vast and continuously growing, with activities for the entire family.